TAKE NOTE JIHADI’S..CANADA WILL BOOT YOUR ISLAMIC ASS OUT THE DOOR!
Terror suspect’s son declared ‘dangerous to public of Canada,’ ordered deported
Adrian Humphreys Jan 4, 2012 – 9:54 PM ET
Mahmoud Jaballah at the Kingston Immigration Holding Centre in Millhaven Penitentiary in this undated handout photo
The son of Egyptian terror suspect Mahmoud Jaballah has been declared a “danger to the public of Canada” after his gangster lifestyle drew 16 criminal convictions here, including armed robbery, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of heroin.
The man’s father has been fighting for a decade to remain free after being arrested on a rare national security certificate but the son has not had such success — Al-Muzir Es-Sayyid was ordered deported to Egypt “as soon as it is realistically feasible” after acrimonious court battles, although he has filed two fresh appeals and remains in detention in Toronto.
The Federal Court of Canada noted his “pre-meditated well-planned robberies involving weapons and threats of violence against mostly vulnerable and marginalized women” and his “lack of rehabilitation in spite of probation and incarceration.”
Es-Sayyid, 22, arrived in Canada in 1996 at the age of seven with his family after a five-year odyssey through Saudi Arabia, the troubled Peshawar area of Pakistan and Azerbaijan.
The clan claimed refugee protection in Canada against persecution in Egypt for Mr. Jaballah’s political dissent. Their claim was accepted in 2003 but Es-Sayyid did not settle well.
His activities led to arrests for threatening, possession of stolen property, assault, theft, robbery, obstructing a police officer, carrying a concealed weapon, multiple armed robberies, and, in December 2010 — while he was in prison for a robbery spree of women working in Toronto-area massage parlours — he was found with three grams of heroin.
Court documents suggest he had a budding leadership role in a criminal group where most of his friends had criminal records. Court heard he started hanging around with street toughs during his father’s security detention.
He was a habitual user of recreational drugs and craved “money and more money,” court heard, and although unemployed he lived in a nice condominium with his girlfriend without financial worries.
His conviction in 2009 led to a three-year prison sentence and during his incarceration the Immigration and Refugee Board deemed him inadmissible to Canada for serious criminality and issued a deportation order. A year later, Canada Border Services Agency ruled him dangerous, a designation that allows removal of protected refugees.
He served two years in prison before release, which was mandatory and did not require approval by the Parole Board of Canada, although the board imposed additional requirements relating to his place of residence as he was immediately taken into immigration custody by CBSA.
Es-Sayyid has since had several detention reviews, most recently on Dec. 30, and has been ordered to remain in detention at each.
Es-Sayyid’s case was heard against the backdrop of terror allegations involving his father. Mr. Jaballah is alleged to have been a senior member of Al Jihad, a group linked to al-Qaeda, and his unsettled case has been before the Federal Court for the last 10 years.
Mr. Jaballah, who won release from detention on bail conditions, was an observer at his Federal Court hearing last month when Es-Sayyid asked that his deportation be halted while he launches more appeals.
The expedited hearing, conducted over the telephone shortly before the Christmas break, was a testy one.
His lawyer, Barbara Jackman, exchanged blunt words with Justice Michel Shore, asking the judge to step aside, claiming he was prejudiced and applied a “strict interpretation of the security of the public.” Justice Shore refused to abandon the case.
Mr. Jaballah was in Ms. Jackman’s office listening to the teleconference hearing, court was told. Justice Shore said it was natural for a father to be present at his son’s hearing.
Ms. Jackman then requested a decision be made before the weekend since she said she knew Justice Shore was going to deny the stay and wanted to file an appeal while court offices were still open.
Although Judge Shore decried the suggestion his decision was made before he had heard the evidence, Ms. Jackman’s prediction was correct: Judge Shore denied the stay application and Ms. Jackman quickly filed appeals with the Federal Court of Appeal and the Ontario Superior Court.
Judge Shore ruled that the government’s decision was a “balanced and reasonable assessment of the totality [of] the evidence.”
He also dismissed Es-Sayyid’s contention that he would be at risk of persecution if returned to Egypt because he was the son of a political dissident. Judge Shore said the recent regime change overthrew the government that Mr. Jaballah had opposed.
The appeals have not yet been heard.
Ms. Jackman declined to provide information on the case on Wednesday, saying she needed permission from her client.
CBSA spokeswoman Antonella Digirolamo said it would be inappropriate to comment on the case since it is still before the courts.